What Does SEO Mean For Small Business?
SEO can be confusing. Before we start talking about controlling your business’ online presence, what is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is a form of inbound marketing that takes actions to get your website found in organic search engine results pages (SERPs) when people are searching for words or phrases related to your business.
Small Businesses Rely on SEO to Survive.
Maintaining a successful SEO strategy means your business will be found on the first pages of Google, Yahoo, or Bing when potential customers are searching for you. You can save time and money by improving your business’ inbound marketing plan and keep your doors open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Small business SEO means a higher return on your investments (ROI) and more time to do what you’re good at.
SEO Tip #1:
Optimize Your Website
1. Create a strong domain name that reflects your business, its service and your location (i.e. AnnesKyBakery.com).
>> Recommended Reading: How to Choose a Domain Name Worth Clicking.
2. Add keywords on your Page Titles and Page Descriptions, with your services and business location. For instance, “Life Insurance – Louisville, KY”
3. Incorporate your business’ name, address and phone number (NAP) on each page of your website
4. Update your website with compelling, strong content that will strengthen your company’s online presence and keep customers interested in the fresh content you have to share.
>> Recommended Reading: Is Your Web Content Making Money For You?
SEO Tip #2:
Claim and Update Your Listings
1. Search local listing websites like Google, Yelp, YP, and Facebook to ensure your business’ information is listed and claimed.
2. Once claimed, update your information so potential customers searching for you can easily contact you.
3. Add photos, videos, menus, and any other key information to make your listing as informative and attractive to potential customers.
4. Work with SEO companies to help ease and automate the process. If you don’t have the time to update your own local listings, SEO companies can secure and update your listings across all directory listings for you at affordable prices.
SEO Tip #3:
Encourage and Respond to Online User Reviews
1. Reviews help build your business’ visibility in local search results and so does your engagement with them – whether positive or negative.
2. Encourage customers to leave ratings and reviews for the services they received.
3. Respond to all reviews. If the post is positive, thank the customer for their feedback and encourage them to use your services again. If the post is negative, explain that you appreciate their feedback and ask them to contact you about their concerns so you can address their issues.
>> Recommended Reading: How to Use Social Media For Your Small Business
SEO Tip #4:
Engage in Social Media
1. Develop a strong social media strategy that engages your customers. The more followers and engagement you maintain, the higher your page will come up on search engine results pages.
2. Some possible updates: new products, promotions, blog posts, giveaways, tips or trends happening in your industry.
3. Do it every day. Like, comment, post, and engage a little every day to keep your page fresh and customers interested.
4. Follow this Social Media checklist: